my own hybrids
|My (ex)-gardens||'Park der Gärten' Germany||ASA Convention 2003||Flowershow ARS||Dutch Rhodo. Society|
|Kalmia latifolia||"Indian Summer" in Maine||wildflowers Costa Blanca||Bernhard Knorr rhodo's||Hans Hachmann Rhodo's||Joe Klimavic azaleas|
Sometimes I get advices for a good
website. One of them is, not to put too many links to other websites on my
own one. . I think this is a good advice. Visitors will see the links and
the temptation might be big to go to other websites. There is so much
information on the internet. But I think, that reading this English
version, you get quite some useful Information. That's at least my
intention!! What to do?
“Rhododendron Atlas” by D.M. van Gelderen
and J.R.P. van Hoey Smit. Published by Timber Press in cooperation with the “Koninklijke Vereniging van Boskoopse
Culturen" in Holland. Descriptions of species and a collection of 1144.
Dutch and English
Sold out - 3rd edition on CD.
Sold out - 3rd edition on CD.
This is my list of 7. Of course I have many more books, in German, Dutch and English. As soon as I have time I will make a list of more publications. Many books in English can be obtained with the ARS. See their website. Members get reduced prices. In your own country you can find books on the internet, f.i. from 'Amazon'.
Societies, websites, CD's, buying plants etc.
You want to know more about rhododendrons and azaleas? The best ways are to become a member of societies, visiting gardens, parks and nurseries and reading books. And on the internet!
The ARS, the 'American Rhododendron Society'. With about 5.000 members
worldwide. Also Chapters in Canada, Holland, Denmark, northern India (!), Scotland
see their website www.rhododendron.org
2. The ASA, the Azalea Society of America' for all the lovers of azaleas. See their website www.azaleas.org They publish their quarterly The "AZALEAN".
3. The Australian Rhododendron Society Inc. They publish their Annual Journal, "The Rhododendron". Website www.rhododendron.com.au email: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. The "New Zeeland Rhododendron Association". Their motto:"Rhododendrons in the Land of the Long White Cloud". Website www.rhododendron.org.nz
5. The English “The Rhododendron, Camellia and Magnolia Group”. Publishes their bulletin and the yearbook. Website www.rhodogroup-rhs.org
6. The Dutch "Nederlandse Rhododendron Vereniging", the NRV, 'Dutch Chapter' of the ARS. Quarterly bulletins. Website www.rhodovereniging.nl
7. The "Scottish Rhododendron Society". They publish 2 Newsletters and a Yearbook. Website www.scottishrhodos.co.uk
8. The German ”Deutsche Rhododendron Gesellschaft” in Bremen, Germany. 'Rhododendron Jahrbuch', 'Yearbook' and 'Immergrüne Blätter'. Website www.rhodo.org
9. The "Danish Rhododendron Societey". It is also a Chapter of the American ARS. Of course in Danish. www.rhododendron.dk
May be that in the future more books will be put onto a CD. The 3rd ecition of “Rhododendron Hybrids” is only available on CD, more may follow, though I prefere 'oldfashioned' books. You can order htis CD with actually 1880 pages and about 1.400 photographs with: Greer Gardens, 1280 Goodpasture Island Road – Eugene – Oregon, USA
in French “Société
Bretonne du Rhododendron, a CD with general information and pictures of 400
Ordering: Kerneostic – Menez-Rohou – 29170 Fouesnant, France.
to Rhododendrons and Azaleas »
Realm of the rhododendron"
Playes in New Zeeland, practice and garden visits. In 3 parts of half an hour.
Ordering: Wild South – PO Box 474 – Dunedin – New Zealand.
As said before, there are so many (new) websites about rhododendrons and azaleas on the internet, really staggering!
of the famous nursery of
in Germany. They publish a thick catalogue, actually a book about rhododendrons
with most their own new hybrids! In German.
www.boehlje.de The website of the nursery and gardencenter in Westerstede in Germany.
http://www.rhododendron.fr/hybridesgb.htm a website of the Frenchman Marc Colombel about rhododendrons and its hybridizers
http://www.hobbie-rhodo.de the website of the famous nursery and rhododendron park at Westerstede-Petersfeld.
It is impossible to mention all the countless nurseries all over the world. May be I will make a list with quite a few in the UK and north America with their websites. Please take a look on the internet for nurseries, websites, also for books etc.
Of course you must pay attention to the quality of the rhododendrons and
azaleas you want to buy. There are nurseries and garden centers that are quite
indifferent to it. They water badly or just too heavily, with all the
consequenties. Also some just sell the plants they did not sell the year before,
without replanting them in bigger pots with fresh good soil. Then you have a
quite large plant in a relatively too small rootball. Don't buy them. Also some
have labels of 2 or 3 years old and you can't see the colour of the flowers,
because the labels have faded. The best thing is to make a list of what you
want. Then make your choice at the garden center. The plants must look healthy
with dark green leaves, enough flower buds and well branched.
If you ask a garden architect to lay out your garden, demand not to choose always the same well-known varieties, but also newer hybrids. Quite a few architects don't know the rich variety of hybrids.
Many nurseries don't sell to private people, they are wholesalers. But if you want to buy quite a large number of plants, you can contact them. Anyway, my tip is not to demand a lot of time for buying just some plants. Make your choice before.
|copyright © 2002-2019 | all rights reserved|